The Womens Distance Festival 5K and The Men "Run After the Women" 5K
The Prince Georges Running Club will hosts the Women's Distance Festival (WDF) 5k and the Men's "Run After the Women" 5k Races on Saturday, August 27, as scheduled.
First of all, the safety and security of our runners is our #1 concern and we will take whatever actions we believe necessary to ensure that our runners are well taken care of. We run in rain and snow; however, we do not run when lightning or thunder are present. We will make such determinations on race day, if necessary.
Having said that, the forecast for Saturday morning, as of this morning, indicates that the projected storm will not affect our area until Saturday afternoon, at the earliest. So the races will proceed. Here are instructions for the runners.
Participants will arrive and park at Lake Artemesia. The address is 5240 Paint Branch Parkway, College Park. Lake Artemesia is directly across the street from the College Park Farmers Market and the Herbert Wells Ice Skating Rink. Portable toilets will be available onsite.
WDF - Pre-registered and “same day” registration runners should plan to arrive by 7 am and proceed to the race registration table. T -shirts will be issued to pre-registered runners.
Men's race - Pre-registered and "same day" registration runners should plan to arrive by 8 am and proceed to the registration table. T -shirts will be issued to pre-registered runners.
Runners who wish to register on Saturday for either race must pay $30 in cash or check. Plan to arrive an hour before race time. T-shirts will be available while supplies last.
* The WDF will begin at 8 am and the Men’s race will begin at 9 a.m.
* Headphones during the races are prohibited due to insurance restrictions.
* There are course marshals on the 3.1 mile loop.
* There is a water stop and a public bathroom at about the halfway mark.
* The combined awards ceremony will begin no later than 10 a.m. There will be a drawing for random prizes.
* After each race, refreshments will be available.
* Special thanks go out to our sponsors: The Maryland National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC), Giant Food, and the Bagel Place of College Park.
* A special shout-out goes to the members of the 2011 Running Start Program, whose graduation from the summer 5k training program will culminate with the completion of tomorrow's races.
* Finally, these races would not have been possible without the hard work, tireless energy and abounding enthusiasm of the few but proud volunteers of the Prince Georges Running Club
I am looking forward to two great races tomorrow!
Valerie Bailey Grasso
WDF and Men's Race
Dear PGRC runners,
PGRC will host the Women's Distance Festival "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" 5k race at 8 am on Saturday, August 27, 2011. This race is open to women only. Registration is online. Online registration closes on August 6. After August 6, race day registration will be available. Please go to the club website and sign up for the race, or go to www.getmeregistered.com.
On race day, packet pickup will begin at 6:45 a.m.
PGRC will also host the Men's "Run After the Women" 5k on Saturday, August 27, 2011 at 9 am, one hour after the start of the WDF race. This race is open to men only, and takes the place of the "Estimated time race" that used to follow the WDF race. Registration is online. Online registration closes on August 6. After August 6, race day registration will be available. Please go to the club website and sign up for the race, or go to www.getmeregistered.com.
On race day, packet pickup will begin at 8:15 a.m.
T shirts are guaranteed for all those that register by August 6.
Both award ceremonies will be held together, no later than 10 am.
Questions? Please send an email to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Online registration ends at midnight on Sunday, August 21.
Race day registration is available for $30.
Please send a note if you plan to register race day. Address the email message to "email@example.com."
Return to main club page